For some long time I had nothing in my brain at all, what about some overflow 🙂 but today I really felt like writing, and I am going to start some basic discussions about fishing. Just keep in mind I am an amateur myself with absolutely no catches at least during the year 2007, So I am trying to give hints on what I already know, and what I have studied and learned through web, Chasse Et Peche channel, and hints I have learned from experts.Ok, Enough of scaring you of lack of my expertise, let’s see what things an average fisherman needs to start fishing. Consider you can catch fish using almost nothing other than your hands or a piece of wooden hook and a line, but we are not talking of survival skills, we are talking about some kind of average sport fishing.
Tools you need include basic fishing tackle, things like:
- some kind of fishing rod, to be able to cast and handle your line and play/fight with fish.
- fishing line, of any suitable form
- hooks, again of a suitable form for our purpose
- some kind of reel to hold your line, sometimes to help you fight fish as well
- some bait to attract fish to bite the hook, normally fish food, lure, bread, etc. etc. but I have seen people catch huge pikes using AA batteries as bait!
- Something to use as weight, to keep your hook underwater, in some types of fishings. These are normally lead or other metallic weights, but every other heavy enough thing would be ok. Sometimes bait is heavy enough, sometimes you need reverse weight, I mean something to bring the bait up, some kind of floating weight. You may even use your friend as bait and weight for catching huge fish 🙂
- sometimes you need floats, these are tools to keep part of your line out of water, so the other part will stay on some specific depth of water.
Then you need some skills, some are more needed, some less, but be sure, the more you have these skills, it will be more professional, and it will be more fun!
- First of all, it is much better to know the fish species you are trying to catch. Every kind of fish has its own habits, diet, feeding time, strategy etc. etc.
- Ability to learn and tie some fishing knots. If you don’t know how to tie a hook to a line, your fish along your hook will escape easily. Even some kind of small fish are more powerful than knots you regularly know!
- If you want to practice Catch and Release, you have to know how to handle that species of fish. Carp stay a lot more alive outside water than trout. and then Catfish does much longer than the others! If you do it wrong, even if you release the fish, it may die
- Ability to choose suitable hook, rig, line, knot etc. for each species of fish, and to choose somehow what size of fish you plan to catch. Some fish have small mouthes, some have big ones (say Pikes, my favorite fish 🙂 ). So you have to select the correct things.
So you see, while you can still put a hook on a line and put the line on a branch of tree and put a worm as bait on the hook and catch fish just like Pink Panther does, there are lot more to it. Every of those needs I mentioned have a huge variety to select from, and each are better for some specific fishings.
I will start to talk about them one by one in the following articles, and I hope you enjoy.